Branded domains can help drastically increase your sending reputation with a small technical set up. In most cases, we see at least a 50% increase in open rates and about 1.5x the replies after it is set up.
How it works
With Interseller's open, click and unsubscribe tracking, we lead your contacts to our website first in order to track them. For example, if you have click tracking turned on, you may see this happen when clicking on a link from your email:
Clicked Link In Email → Opens Interseller Blank Page → Redirects To Your Link
This helps us know exactly who is clicking on the link and when they are clicking that link from your email.
When hovering over the link in your email, you will see that the URL is not exactly what you wrote in, but instead ends up at your URL. The same applies for open tracking and "opt-out" links. That URL is also shared across all of our customers.
Spam trackers and email services use URLs as a way of heuristically detecting if the email is coming from known spammers. Therefore, when one customer writes a bad email, it can affect you and everyone else. This is where branded domains comes in.
With your own branded domain/URL, you can avoid this since the URL is your own and is not shared with anyone else.
Branded Domains Requirements
Before we can get started, you will need to make sure you meet the following requirements:
- Your domain must be registered for at least 90 days.
- You must have access to your domain's DNS records to add a subdomain. If you're not sure what this is, consider reaching out to your IT contact or webmaster.
- You must be on one of our current plans found on our pricing page.
- Your entire team must have the same email domain (e.g. @interseller.io).
After you have confirmed all of the above, please reach out to our team with the following information:
- A subdomain of your email domain that you would like to use (e.g. is.interseller.io). We generally recommend using 1-3 letters for a subdomain. Common subdomains to use are "t" or "is". Please note that this cannot be a separate domain.
- Confirmation on where you purchased your domain
Setting Up Branded Domains
Once you have provided us with the subdomain, we will generate 2 CNAME records that you will need to add into your domain's DNS settings. You will receive an email from us with the CSV file showing the 2 records to add in.
That CSV file will look something like this:
You will want to make sure the name/host corresponds to the correct value/points to when adding in the records. If you're not sure how to add these records in, you can reach out to your domain provider and they should be able to assist you further with this.
Once they have been added, please reach out to our team so we can verify that they have been added correctly. Please note that these updates can take a few hours up to a day for the records to update.
After your branded domain is set up correctly, improvements will be made over time though it will not happen immediately. It can take some time to build up your sending reputation but will be worth it in the end!