Logging into Interseller with Exchange and an external mail server
In this guide:
If you're using an email service other than Google or Outlook or we're unable to detect your email service, you'll be prompted to log in with your mail server.
We offer Exchange and IMAP support, but it requires a bit more technical implementation on your end. You may want to speak with your IT or webmaster before getting started. If you use Office 365, please use our Outlook login instead.
Before logging into Interseller, you'll need to obtain the following authentication credentials:
For Exchange servers:
- Exchange server address (e.g. exch.yourdomain.com)
- Your Exchange username and password
For IMAP servers:
- IMAP Server Address and Port (e.g. imap.yourdomain.com)
- SMTP Server Address and Port (e.g. smtp.yourdomain.com)
- Your username and password
If you aren't sure how to find your IMAP and SMTP settings, this can usually be found in your email account's settings or in your email provider's support articles. If you have trouble finding this information, try doing a quick Google search or reach out to your email provider's support team for more information.
Once you have all of this information, you can log in at this link: https://interseller.io/auth/nylas
At the login page, enter your email address and then click Sign In With Mail Server.
On the next page, you'll be prompted to select your email provider.
- To log in with Exchange, select Exchange.
- To log in with your mail server, select Other.
Logging in with Exchange
To sign into Interseller with your Exchange account, enter your email, password, Exchange username, and Exchange server address.
Logging in with a Mail Server
To sign in with your mail server, you will need to locate your email provider's IMAP and SMTP settings, including the port number and host record.
How can I find out what email service I'm using?
If you're not sure who your email provider is, log in to your account and check your webmail link. If it starts with any of the following, we can connect to your email account directly:
- Any other Microsoft domain
If your webmail link starts with any other domain, you will need to follow the steps above to log in using the Nylas method.
What are IMAP and SMTP settings?
- SMTP (Simple Mail Transfer Protocol) is the protocol needed for sending emails to other servers and determines how these servers communicate back and forth. This is especially helpful when the sender and recipient do not have the same email service provider. The SMTP settings essentially helps those servers speak the same language.
- IMAP (Internet Access Message Protocol) is the protocol required for managing and retrieving email messages from the server. This is used only between an email client who is retrieving the message and the server where the emails are stored.
I get the error message "cannot connect" when I enter my IMAP and SMTP settings. What should I do?
These days the SMTP port numbers are interchangeable with 465 and 587 being the default port numbers. If 465 doesn't work, try using 587 instead as it's usually one number or the other for every email service.
I'm seeing an error in Interseller that says my email has been disconnected. What should I do?
If you're using our Nylas login option, click the error message and you will be prompted to log back in using your email credentials and the IMAP and SMTP settings.
We don't support mail servers behind a VPN or firewall
We're not able to support mail servers that are behind a corporate firewall at this time. You will want to have your IT team contact us in order to "whitelist" us to their network.
Finding your mail server through your Outlook desktop app
If you're using the Outlook desktop app, you can find your mail server by going to File > Account Settings > Account Settings.
From there, you can find your server's address where you'll enter in the advanced settings when logging into Interseller. You can also provide your webmail address if you have that as well.
There's no calendar sync
With external mail servers, there's no way to detect meetings booked and therefore will not be displayed inside Interseller.